Learning from other people can be really powerful...
Especially when it comes to learning from people that are in the same boat as you and are trying to achieve similar things.
So we asked 26 different practice owners what some are some of the biggest lessons they've learnt over the years through starting, running and growing their own accounting & bookkeeping firms.
Here's what they said...
- A quality team is essential - especially for when you want to start delegating
- Make sure that your business can run without you
- Recruit based on fit, not ability
- Learn how to evolve and continuously improve over time
- Don't get caught up as an employee - you can't do everything
- Love what you do
- Use software in your own business first before going to market with it
- Perfection doesn't exist - if you have an idea, run with it
- Be prepared to go through periods of investment and sacrifice
- Don't stress if prospects say no
- Always look for ways of doing things better
- You can't be both the visionary and the integrator - split the roles
- Don't underestimate people - stand your ground
- Get support when you need it. There's lots out there
- Marketing is vital
- People management is the hardest thing in any business
- Look after yourself and don't let work take over
- Mental offloading - find a way of parking things to revisit them later
- Set and manage your clients expectations very carefully
- Don't follow the crowd - have your own ideas
- You don't need every piece of software
- Different people value things differently - so price accordingly
- Make it easy for your clients to pay you!
- Set clear targets and revisit them regularly
- Don't discount just because other people do
- Don't be afraid to change things if they're not working
And there you have it... 26 different lessons learnt by 26 different practice owners over the years from starting, running and growing their own accounting firms.
Want to find out more about the lessons they've learnt and the things they've done to overcome them?
Then check out our Practice Owner's Playbook here.
Inside you'll find:
- How Jeri, Francesca and Laura are generating enquiries every single week from social media
- The questions Karl asks in order to have good conversations with clients that truly uncover what their goals are
- The process Nicola is going through to ensure her clients still receive personal service as she grows and hires new team members
- Why having one point of contact for all clients has helped Colin & Ger to remove themselves as a bottleneck
- How Graeme has found the perfect balance between people and tech to deliver exceptional service to his clients
Download your copy below now!